Head of Operations (PalmPay)
The Head of Operations will be responsible for overseeing operations in Nigeria for PalmPay. In this role, you will balance executing operational excellence with strategic planning for the various local functions, and will work closely with the Transsnet Nigeria General Manager and international leadership to set and achieve annual and quarterly key results.
You will maintain close relationships with our stakeholders including local regulators and partners, and with a focus on efficiency and transparency, you will establish and follow operational processes that drive performance and promote company culture.
You will have the benefits of working in a modern startup environment with the opportunity to make a big impact, while being supported by the resources and networks of our established strategic partners and investors.
- Supervise the various departments and team leads in the local Nigeria team in collaboration with international leadership, including regular all hands and one-on-one meetings, performance reviews, and coaching
- Regularly monitor company performance, take ownership over operational key results, and produce reports
- Collaborate with Product, Technology, Compliance and Risk, Marketing, Finance and other departments to drive process and product developments
- Communicate frequently with teams in other regions to improve the customer experience, as well as internal operations processes
- Recruit the best talent for PalmPay, working alongside HR and team leads to set key metrics to measure employee performance
- Serve as the local point of escalation for system issues; support Product and Engineering teams in issue diagnosis and reporting
- Work closely with the Compliance Manager and other departments to ensure that Nigeria operations are following all CBN requirements
- Cultivate our relationships with regulating bodies such as CBN, NIBBS, NCC and NOTAP. Maintain current knowledge of regulatory trends, guidance and rules applicable to PalmPay.
- Facilitate discussions on strategy and budgeting with the various departments and build cross-functional alignment
- Maintain team documentation and create and contribute to detailed playbooks that drive repeatable processes across all countries in which PalmPay operates
- Continuously monitor and identify process improvements across workflows and units, and work closely with relevant managers and leadership to modify and scale process solutions identified across functions.
- Identify product improvements and work with relevant team members to validate, scope, define and prioritise features / integrations and drive these through our sprint process
- Initiate and manage relationships with third party vendors and partners, such as payments and messaging platforms.
- Contribute to high level strategic goal setting and develop, prioritise and drive cross-functional initiatives to achieve company objectives and KPIs
- Communicate the company strategy and vision to the local team, ensuring that individual employees understand and buy into the company’s goals and objectives and recognise how their specific responsibilities relate to the broader picture
- Bachelor’s degree required, further education such as through online certificates, international qualifications and/or study abroad preferred
- 5-10 years of operations, consulting, or similar experience leading operations in a high growth scale-up business, experience working at technology startups and multi-national companies preferred
- Experience with and eagerness to use modern collaboration tools and processes including Google docs, Slack/WeChat/Skype, Trello essential. Your role will include driving adoption of these tools across the organisation.
- Strong understanding of the Nigerian market, digital and finance spaces
- Experience fully owning a range of operational processes, including proactively evaluating / modifying processes to accommodate for scale
- Experience managing, coaching and coordinating high performing teams across functions; experience managing managers preferred
- Possessing strong project management and time management skills, with a results-driven mindset; ruthless prioritisation abilities
- Can work both independently and within a team; possessing strong interpersonal skills that bring out each team member’s strengths
- Analytical, with strong Excel and data management skills; SQL skills a big plus
- Experience structuring and negotiating deals with vendors and overseeing the integration process
- Highly entrepreneurial and action oriented, extremely proactive
- Comfortable with ambiguity and taking initiative and full ownership without hesitation
- Strong communication and presentation skills; able to distill complex data into digestible insights
- Ability to communicate across levels, facilitating both high level and operational business meetings
- Direct and open communicator with a focus on building whole-team alignment and transparency
- Sound business judgment and data driven decision making skills
- Thrive in fast paced environments, and can work effectively with a multicultural team, across countries and departments